Re: grub efi does not find windows

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM,  <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
> Le 06.02.2014 22:09, Tom H a écrit :

>>> Here it is, but as you said, things seems to no longer be here:
>>>
>>> Command (? for help): i
>>> Partition number (1-11): 1
>>> Partition GUID code: EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 (Microsoft
>>> basic
>>> data)
>>>
>>> Things are more or less the same for all partitions, except that some
>>> partitions are "linux swap" or "linux filesystem".
>>>
>>> And I can see no "(EFI System)" anywhere.
>>
>> I don't understand where your original ESP was but we'll never know...
>
> Since you ( or someone else, I'm not sure) said that it can only be on
> FAT32, then it must have been on the FAT partition dedicated to HP tools. I
> was really surprised when I have seen a FAT partition, to be honest, but I
> only thought that it may be for people which does not use windows... Yes I
> know, it's stupid... maybe it was there, but in that case, what the hell is
> the interest of a 1GB NTFS partition? I'll know this when I'll have another
> HP computer with a working windows to tinker with, I guess. Since then, I'll
> have to learn how to integrate a pure Debian system into a pure MS network.
> I guess it's not that bad, at least I'll learn new stuff about my favorite
> system, and new things about system administration. I prefer to drink into a
> glass which is half full than half empty ;)

I'd mentioned that AFAIK the ESP had to have a fat filesystem
(although Apple's hacked EFI to accept an hfsplus filesystem!).

You're probably right about the original ESP, although the "HP_TOOLS"
label is less than obvious.

If you haven't wiped sda1 and sda2, you might still be able to boot
into Windows; copy a colleague's or friend's
"\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi" to your computer to
"/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi" then either use efibootmgr
to create a firmware entry for it or boot to your firmware and load it
from there. The Windows equivalent of grub.cfg is on sda1 and it
_should_ be found and loaded by bootmgfw.efi.