Re: grub efi does not find windows

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 3:28 AM, <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
> Le 02.02.2014 23:27, berenger.morel@neutralite.org a écrit :
>> Le 02.02.2014 21:46, Tom H a écrit :
>>>
>>> Have you checked that "/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi"
>>> exists? (It might be "Bootmgfw.efi".)
>>
>> I'm not at work currently, but I'll take a look tomorrow. However, I
>> have already looked at what was in /boot and am pretty sure that I
>> have no file or directory with microsoft or windows in their name (
>> lowercase, uppercase and all kinds of mixes ). I'll check anew to be
>> sure anyway.
>
> I only have a debian directory there:
>
> root@...-P07-2:/boot/efi/EFI# ls
> debian
>>>
>>> Have you tried to switch to "bootmgfw.efi" through your firmware?
>>
>> Which firmware?
>>>
>>> Running "efibootmgr" should display all the values that your firmware
>>> knows about and the order in which they classified.
>>
>> I'll install this tool and check what it gives tomorrow, thanks.
>
> It was already installed, finally. Here is the output of the command:
> --------------------
> root@...-P07-2:/boot/efi/EFI# efibootmgr
> BootCurrent: 0000
> Timeout: 0 seconds
> BootOrder: 0000,0001,0002,0003,0007,0008,0005,0006
> Boot0000* debian
> Boot0001* DTO UEFI USB Floppy/CD
> Boot0002* DTO UEFI USB Hard Drive
> Boot0003* DTO UEFI ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
> Boot0005 DTO Legacy USB Floppy/CD
> Boot0006 Hard Drive
> Boot0007* IP4 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
> Boot0008* IP6 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
> --------------------
>
> No mention of any windows'efi file anywere. I just rechecked on the
> partition that I suspect to have it before my installation ( aka: sda1, a
> 1GB large partition containing a folder named "Boot" at root ) and no more
> luck. Sounds like all informations needed to boot windows lacks now... I
> guess I'll have to try to rebuild them, if possible, or... reinstall
> windows? I doubt I can: the restore files were on a partition that I had to
> delete to be able to create mines ( despite any good sense, they used the 4
> primary partitions slots, when only one needed to be bootable! I wonder how
> could those people could say they are computer scientists, really! And it
> takes no more time to create secondary partition than primary ones... grrr!
> But at least I know why I will never go back to default installations for my
> personal uses. )...

It looks like any sign of the Windows boot "stuff" has been wiped from
your firmware and disk. :(

Regarding the partitions, a gpt label allows 128 primary partitions by
default. So MS using 4 isn't a problem.

I've just looked at your original post and I see this:

<<<<<<<<<
The boot flag was on a NTFS partition sda1, 1GiB large.

Windows itself was on a NTFS partition sda2, more than 300GiB large,
but I have resized it through Debian installer to 93GiB.

There were 2 other partitions, one for windows recovery with NTFS, and
another one for HP tools with fat32. I have removed both of them.

I now have a fat32 partition with EFI informations, mount point:
/boot/efi, 1.86GiB large on sda3, which is bootable.

I have lot of other partitions for Debian: /, /usr, /var, swap, /tmp and /home.

So in your original setup, you didn't have a FAT ESP. Perhaps the
original ESP is the NTFS sda1 (I didn't know that EFI spec allows a
non-FAT ESP!).

Can either mount sda1 and check whether it is the original Windows ESP?

Or check with gdisk whether it is the ESP. On my laptop:

# gdisk /dev/sda
Command (? for help): i
Partition number (1-2): 1
Partition GUID code: C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B (EFI System)

"C12A7328-..." is a unique UID that corresponds to the ESP; and, AIUI,
is the way that the firmware identifies the ESP.