Re: grub efi does not find windows

Le 05.02.2014 13:53, Tom H a écrit :
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 3:28 AM, <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
Le 02.02.2014 23:27, berenger.morel@neutralite.org a écrit :
Le 02.02.2014 21:46, Tom H a écrit :

Have you checked that "/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi"
exists? (It might be "Bootmgfw.efi".)

I'm not at work currently, but I'll take a look tomorrow. However, I
have already looked at what was in /boot and am pretty sure that I
have no file or directory with microsoft or windows in their name (
lowercase, uppercase and all kinds of mixes ). I'll check anew to be
sure anyway.

I only have a debian directory there:

root@...-P07-2:/boot/efi/EFI# ls
debian

Have you tried to switch to "bootmgfw.efi" through your firmware?

Which firmware?

Running "efibootmgr" should display all the values that your firmware
knows about and the order in which they classified.

I'll install this tool and check what it gives tomorrow, thanks.

It was already installed, finally. Here is the output of the command:
--------------------
root@...-P07-2:/boot/efi/EFI# efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0001,0002,0003,0007,0008,0005,0006
Boot0000* debian
Boot0001* DTO UEFI USB Floppy/CD
Boot0002* DTO UEFI USB Hard Drive
Boot0003* DTO UEFI ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
Boot0005 DTO Legacy USB Floppy/CD
Boot0006 Hard Drive
Boot0007* IP4 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Boot0008* IP6 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
--------------------

No mention of any windows'efi file anywere. I just rechecked on the
partition that I suspect to have it before my installation ( aka: sda1, a 1GB large partition containing a folder named "Boot" at root ) and no more luck. Sounds like all informations needed to boot windows lacks now... I
guess I'll have to try to rebuild them, if possible, or... reinstall
windows? I doubt I can: the restore files were on a partition that I had to delete to be able to create mines ( despite any good sense, they used the 4 primary partitions slots, when only one needed to be bootable! I wonder how could those people could say they are computer scientists, really! And it takes no more time to create secondary partition than primary ones... grrr! But at least I know why I will never go back to default installations for my
personal uses. )...

It looks like any sign of the Windows boot "stuff" has been wiped from
your firmware and disk. :(

It seems. Finally I'll have to configure my Debian to use active directory...

Regarding the partitions, a gpt label allows 128 primary partitions by
default. So MS using 4 isn't a problem.

GPT, yes. MBR, no. And the computers that I've seen always used MBR. To be more precise, I just learn about GPTs now, thanks to you :) they sound quite interesting, I'll read more about them later.

I've just looked at your original post and I see this:

<<<<<<<<<
The boot flag was on a NTFS partition sda1, 1GiB large.

Windows itself was on a NTFS partition sda2, more than 300GiB large,
but I have resized it through Debian installer to 93GiB.

There were 2 other partitions, one for windows recovery with NTFS, and
another one for HP tools with fat32. I have removed both of them.

I now have a fat32 partition with EFI informations, mount point:
/boot/efi, 1.86GiB large on sda3, which is bootable.

I have lot of other partitions for Debian: /, /usr, /var, swap, /tmp
and /home.

So in your original setup, you didn't have a FAT ESP. Perhaps the
original ESP is the NTFS sda1 (I didn't know that EFI spec allows a
non-FAT ESP!).

Can either mount sda1 and check whether it is the original Windows ESP?

Or check with gdisk whether it is the ESP. On my laptop:

# gdisk /dev/sda
Command (? for help): i
Partition number (1-2): 1
Partition GUID code: C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B (EFI System)

"C12A7328-..." is a unique UID that corresponds to the ESP; and, AIUI,
is the way that the firmware identifies the ESP.

Here it is, but as you said, things seems to no longer be here:

Command (? for help): i
Partition number (1-11): 1
Partition GUID code: EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 (Microsoft basic data)
Partition unique GUID: 99A9ADD3-860F-4C97-B61D-70CAA7806D4D
First sector: 2048 (at 1024.0 KiB)
Last sector: 2101247 (at 1.0 GiB)
Partition size: 2099200 sectors (1.0 GiB)
Attribute flags: 0000000000000000
Partition name: 'Microsoft basic data'

Things are more or less the same for all partitions, except that some partitions are "linux swap" or "linux filesystem".

And I can see no "(EFI System)" anywhere.