Re: grub efi does not find windows

Le 28.01.2014 16:35, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 16:34 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 04:16 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:47:33AM +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> > Thanks in advance for any hint about how to make me able to boot
> > windows anew.
>
> Is os-prober installed?

Doesn't a chainloader work for an efi boot?

I edit grub.cfg manually. Doesn't this work for modern efi
machines/Windows versions anymore?

menuentry "XP"{
    set root=(hd1,1)
    drivemap -s hd0 hd1
    chainloader +1
}

I'll try this, thanks. I do not really like grub, but they say that manually editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg is not advised ( I believe that it is because this file is rebuilt when grub or linux kernels are updated ). Well, I must admit that I do not really mind about such statements, but since this computer is the tool I'll use for work, I would prefer to avoid random tinkering. Tinkering is nice at home, but here I have some stuff to do for which I'm paid.

A side note, IMO a Windows install only is needed to develop and/or test hardware. Most needed software should be available by Linux and assumed
some hardware isn't available, a virtual install IMO is the better
      ^^^^^^^^ software
solution. Wine often might not work, but I run Windows in VBox to use
iTunes, I never ever would use a Windows outside a virtual machine,
excepted of hardware development and/or testing.

Here are the reasons, which are not always really good as you will quickly notice: _ I have no idea about how to use any samba client. I could spend some time to learn indeed, but I'm new here ( at my job ) and already have some work to do. I do not want to spend time for such stuff when I need to discover my new environment. _ They use exchange 2003. And it seem they have configured it to avoid internal connexions using the web interface. I have tried davmail+icedove, but lack informations about the exchange server so it ended nowhere. _ My opinion about IHM is the opposite of most people. If, someday, someone need to take a look on my computer, they will never be able to use i3 + bash + vim. So having a working windows install could allow my colleagues to access files they could need on my computer, in case I have a problem which avoid me to be present. _ wine is of course an interesting tool. But I do not know if Microsoft accepts that outlook can be used when not combined with a windows license. And I am not at home... ( it I was at home, I would not have an obsolete software to provide mails, which respects no standard anyway ). _ is installing windows on a virtual system legal? I do not want to read long licenses written in English with things hidden behind well-chosen words.