Re: grub efi does not find windows

On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 09:43 +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 28.01.2014 16:35, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :

> >> Doesn't a chainloader work for an efi boot?
> >>
> >> I edit grub.cfg manually. Doesn't this work for modern efi
> >> machines/Windows versions anymore?
> >>
> >> menuentry "XP"{
> >>     set root=(hd1,1)
> >>     drivemap -s hd0 hd1
> >>     chainloader +1
> >> }
>
> I'll try this, thanks. I do not really like grub, but they say that
> manually editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg is not advised ( I believe that it
> is because this file is rebuilt when grub or linux kernels are updated
> ). Well, I must admit that I do not really mind about such statements,
> but since this computer is the tool I'll use for work, I would prefer to
> avoid random tinkering. Tinkering is nice at home, but here I have some
> stuff to do for which I'm paid.

Copy grub.cfg and restore it after an update that rewrote grub.cfg. That
is how I do it.

> >> A side note, IMO a Windows install [...]
> Here are the reasons [...]

To long to read, but since you need it for work, there might be some
reasons that make it more comfortable for you to run a "real" Windows
install instead of using a virtual machine. If I would need my Linux PC
for e.g. the tax demand, I likely wouldn't risk to run it on a virtual
machine, but use a real Windows install too. Software the state provides
and/or calls for often ("often" = in my experiences "Always") don't run
on Linux, even if there should be Linux versions available and sometimes
there aren't Linux versions available.