Re: fastest linux distro

Le 27.01.2014 18:09, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
On Sb, 25 ian 14, 11:16:45, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Le 25.01.2014 07:02, Zenaan Harkness a écrit :

>I hear rumours that with a modern PeeCee with fast graphics card,
>running a compositing "3D" window manager can be higher performance
>than our old window managers, since the compositing and window moving
>etc all occurs on the card, not through the CPU - so that could
>actually be a "lighter weight" option for a modern pc...

Those are simply rumors. People saying so have never used a tiling
window manager, how could they determine the faster way to manage
windows? Those GPU-accelerated softwares are better than others, if
you want beautiful corners, transparency, fire effects and other
useless ( well, those can be useful if you need to sell some crap to
someone else, or to prove that your favorite distro is far more
advanced in eye-candy stuff than windows ) stuff, but for real use,
do you need those "features" ?

I think the point was about use of computer resources, not about the
ways humans interact with the window manager, which is very subjective.

Kind regards,
Andrei

If you not implement transparency ( this one is simply an example ), it will be faster than if you implement it, GPU accelerated or not, in my opinion.