Re: fastest linux distro

On 1/25/14, tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for the fastest Linux distro for the following purposes.
>
> System:
> Dell latitude D630
> dual core
> 2g memory
>
> most used applications:
> icewm
> gnome-terminal
> vim
> perl
> chrome browser
> transmission
>
> Currently I am running ubuntu 12.04. I am unhappy with the speed of it.
> Any info/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You probably won't get any reponses, so I'll put in at least one, as I
recommend as follows:

For convenience (package/application installation), choose Debian -
largest selection of software "should you ever need something".

For stable (sort of but not really like Ubuntu), go with Debian Wheezy
(also called Debian stable).

For more cutting edge (sort of but not really like Fedora), go with
Debian Sid (also called Debian unstable, but it's pretty stable by
most standards, all things considered, so an excellent choice).

Run the latest -rt linux kernel (from Debian), for sort of low latency
- the timer tick is 4 ms, should be 1ms for best pro audio, so if you
want the latest cutting edge:
download and build your own custom Linux kernel. (Then you're in
Gentoo land sort of but not really).

Oh, and add the Debian multimedia repository to your package sources
(gives you MMX instructions and other goodies and plugins all compiled
into nice Debian packages for you)!

Finally, choose a lightweight desktop, such as XFCE (quite popular
around here), or LXDE (still a good light weight choice, but I believe
they're moving to QT, so there might not be a lot of advancement for
the next year).

Welcome to Debian if you choose Debian (good choice since you're
coming from Ubuntu).

Good luck,
Zenaan