Re: fastest linux distro

On 1/25/14, tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm running icewm btw. i can't imagine using ubuntu's bloatware
> manager,

I'm a bit of a command line junkie actually ... I have alii (aliases?) for
aks = apt-cache search and akw = apt-cache show, since I use them
so often, and agi for apt-get install.

There was a while some years back, that I just ran plain X, with a
single xterm, and can't remember which window manager, but that was it
- the X gray hatchet background, a terminal and a window manager.

>From there ... the possibilities :)

Of course I still run most of my apps from the command line, even gui
apps. It's just quicker for most things.

There are only a few file management type tasks and some graphics
development and audio stuff, where it's either more efficient for my
limited use patterns, or not possible that I'm aware from the command
line.

I also like a graphical web browser.

> altho' i do use gnome-terminal, initially (10 years ago)

Heathen!!! 16 lashes and a hessian bed for a week!

> because i didn't know any better,

You ignorant SOD!

> now because i don't have the time to relearn with xterm.

I used gnome-terminal in the Ubuntu 8.04 days (perhaps the best/most
compatible version of Ubuntu ever), and eventually found a performance
limitation which effected me significantly, and xterm did not have the
problem (or perhaps, had already solved that problem), so I went back
to xterm, and have never looked back. Now I use the uxterm wrapper but
it's still just plain ol xterm.

> how does icewm compare to xfce and lxde?

Dunno, never used it, but if you are running just the minimum apps you
want - perhaps a task bar app, and a browser or whatever, then that is
going to be less resources that running all the XFCE4 or LXDE "desktop
environment" daemons (which, by the way, are still a much lighter
weight than GNOME or KDE).

I hear rumours that with a modern PeeCee with fast graphics card,
running a compositing "3D" window manager can be higher performance
than our old window managers, since the compositing and window moving
etc all occurs on the card, not through the CPU - so that could
actually be a "lighter weight" option for a modern pc...

If you actually wanted to transition to xterm, and listed a clear and
concise set of problems you experience trying to use it, I and others
would be happy.

Sorry, I mean, happy to provide solutions :)

Good luck,
Zenaan