Re: fastest linux distro

Le 25.01.2014 07:02, Zenaan Harkness a écrit :
On 1/25/14, tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:
i'm running icewm btw. i can't imagine using ubuntu's bloatware
manager,

I'm a bit of a command line junkie actually ... I have alii (aliases?) for
aks = apt-cache search and akw = apt-cache show, since I use them
so often, and agi for apt-get install.

There was a while some years back, that I just ran plain X, with a
single xterm, and can't remember which window manager, but that was it
- the X gray hatchet background, a terminal and a window manager.

I second you here.
A good shell with auto-completion is better than most GUI, and regularly better than ncurses interfaces, for several reasons, but only if the user knows the commands by heart and is a fast keyboard user. This, because typing a name with auto-completion is way faster than using a mouse. Also, a shell + a x-terminal-emulator + any "old UI software" is always way lighter than most popular GUI libraries.

Just note that, at least in my own opinion, using ncurses softwares is sometimes better than simple command line, especially when you need some immediate visualization. Examples which comes immediately into my mind are aptitude ( software management, versus apt-get ) or ncmpcpp ( a client for mpd, a music player to which even VLC is way behind if you just need playing music. Unlike this one, it have a real random feature, for example, and a ton of good clients for every grapphical-or-not toolkit you prefer ). On the other hand, I do not think that mc ( midnight commander ) is better than typing my commands. My opinion, as I said.

I also like a graphical web browser.

Agree. And I will add to this statement, that there are a lot of "small, lightweight and efficient" web browsers, which are not. In the end result, only mainstream browsers were able ( on all my computers, every time I tried, which is not once ) to download webpage from the internet and render it fast. Lighter are also slower ( yes, it's quite strange but it is ) at least with the debian default configurations, which are usually very good ( so, why would them be bad only for that category of tools? ).

how does icewm compare to xfce and lxde?

Dunno, never used it, but if you are running just the minimum apps you want - perhaps a task bar app, and a browser or whatever, then that is going to be less resources that running all the XFCE4 or LXDE "desktop
environment" daemons (which, by the way, are still a much lighter
weight than GNOME or KDE).

Here, I have to correct you.
First point, there were no daemons last time I tried XFCE or LXDE. Second point, if XFCE is a real DE, with common dependencies doing stuff you do not really need ( but less than KDE or Gnome ). Unlike LXDE, which is more a bunch of softwares installed through a meta-package. For that reason, I find lxterminal quite good for it's job, and lightweight. It needs less time to configure than any other x-terminal-emulator I have tried ( and I have tried most of them ) and is lighter ( I mean that it does implement less features that I do not need ) than some which are most popular.

I hear rumours that with a modern PeeCee with fast graphics card,
running a compositing "3D" window manager can be higher performance
than our old window managers, since the compositing and window moving
etc all occurs on the card, not through the CPU - so that could
actually be a "lighter weight" option for a modern pc...

Those are simply rumors. People saying so have never used a tiling window manager, how could they determine the faster way to manage windows? Those GPU-accelerated softwares are better than others, if you want beautiful corners, transparency, fire effects and other useless ( well, those can be useful if you need to sell some crap to someone else, or to prove that your favorite distro is far more advanced in eye-candy stuff than windows ) stuff, but for real use, do you need those "features" ?

If you actually wanted to transition to xterm, and listed a clear and
concise set of problems you experience trying to use it, I and others
would be happy.

Sorry, I mean, happy to provide solutions :)

Good luck,
Zenaan