reportbug showing more recent linux kernel than exists in .au repo

Now this happened yesterday (or possibly the day before, don't
remember sorry), more than 24 hours ago anyway, as well as just now.

Here's what happens:
$ uname -a
Linux x220a02 3.12-1-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 3.12.6-2
(2013-12-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ reportbug linux-image-3.12-1-rt-amd64
*** Welcome to reportbug.  Use ? for help at prompts. ***
Note: bug reports are publicly archived (including the email address
of the submitter).
Detected character set: UTF-8
Please change your locale if this is incorrect.

Using 'Zenaan Harkness <zen@blah.blah>' as your from address.
Getting status for linux-image-3.12-1-rt-amd64...
Checking for newer versions at madison...

Your version (3.12.6-2) of linux-image-3.12-1-rt-amd64 appears to be
out of date.
The following newer release(s) are available in the Debian archive:
  unstable: 3.12.8-1
Do you still want to file a report [y|N|q|?]?
Newer released version; stopping.

---
Now these are the only two uncommented lines in /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib

Now:
$ apt-get update
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13:
Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
$ sudo apt-get update
Ign http://ftp.au.debian.org wheezy InRelease
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org wheezy Release.gpg
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org wheezy Release
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org wheezy/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org wheezy/contrib amd64 Packages
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org wheezy/non-free amd64 Packages
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org wheezy/contrib Translation-en
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org wheezy/main Translation-en
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org wheezy/non-free Translation-en
Hit http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates InRelease
Hit http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates/contrib amd64 Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates/contrib Translation-en
Hit http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates/main Translation-en
Reading package lists... Done
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done

So any ideas why there is apparently a newer kernel, and it appears
that I have nothing newer to install, yet reportbug is telling me
there is a newer kernel.

$ dpkg -s linux-image-3.12-1-rt-amd64|grep -i version
Version: 3.12.6-2

Does this just mean that the Australian mirror has for some reason not
been updated?

How do I check the au.debian.org mirror last update date/time?

Should I be choosing a different mirror for sid in Australia?

TIA
Zenaan