Re: Using loop devices in Debian

On 25 January 2014 01:00, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> David wrote:
>>
>> I forgot to mention that an alternative approach could be to serve the
>> dvd or mounted iso file contents from another machine on your LAN
>> rather than from a flash drive.
>
> No LAN exists.

Just in case I wasn't clear, "your LAN" can be as simple as one other
computer (such as an old tired notebook bought secondhand) connected
by one ethernet cable. This can be a very handy thing to have.
Especially in your situation. Trust me I spent years with a crippled
dialup connection (effectively offline and unable to download isos)
fooling around with CDs like you are doing. You will find that
installing a new machine is much easier if you have another play
machine running already that you can serve files from, once you figure
out how to do it. It is much faster and much more convenient that
trying to do everything required for a custom install off one flash
drive. Especially if you are repeating the same exercise many times
with slight variations. It is handy for backups. It is also closer to
what the professionals do, so any questions you have are far more
likely to get answers from a larger pool of people rather than ex
fringe dwellers like me.