Re: Including git commands in preseed

Todd Maurice wrote:
> Hm, it seems I haven't clearly clarified what I want to do.
>
> I'm using preseed file (through "auto url=" option) to install
> Debian Jessie in a VM.

Sounds good.  Many of us do this all of the time.  Works.

> I would like to configure preseed in such way that it accomplishes
> two things.

> 1. It downloads a script from github (we figured out that part)

Good.

> 2. Starts the downloaded script when I log ("debian login") for the
> first time on the freshly installed system.

The above is conflicting information.  The words above.  This part:

  when I log ("debian login") for the first time

What does that mean to you?  Do you mean when you log into the system
at the login prompt?  That is confusingly written but that is how I
translate it when I read it.  If so then that is NOT what late_command
does.  It will NEVER do what you are asking because that is not what
late_command does.

  Previously you wrote:
    no auto run (no matter if I log as root or user)

But late_command runs at installation time not at login time.  If you
are logging in to the system then late_command has already been run
once before the system was rebooted.

  And you wrote:
    It created a file containing the text Hello World. No autorun.

You said it created the file containing the output of your script.
That confirms that that the late_command WAS RUN successfully at
INSTALLATION TIME.  If it were not then you would not have seen the
output of the script in the file.  You claimed that the output was in
the file therefore the script *was* autorun.

> I have successfully accomplished 1. (download) but not 2. (autorun).

After carefully reading this entire thread again I believe it is
automatically running at installation time.  It is all working
correctly.  As far as I can read this just isn't what you are wanting
it to do.

Please say again what you are wanting to do.

Bob