Re: update flash

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014, François Patte wrote:

> Le 17/01/2014 05:11, Patrick Bartek a écrit :

> > I was unaware of this.  I thought it was the plugin.  I have since
> > read the the Debian Flash wiki and see my error.  Of course, the
> > Debian way of installing/updating Flash is a lot easier than
> > Fedora's which I switched from middle of last year after using Core
> > and Fedora for a number of years:  You have to do it 100% manually.
>
> yum install flash-plugin
>
> Is it what you call "100% manually"

No.  When I first started using Fedora at Core 3, and for a number of
years after, this was the only way to install Flash on Fedora:

1. Go to Adobe web site

2.  Find the step-by-step install instructions.  Read them.

3.  Find download page for Flash for Linux.  This was not a simple
click away.  The Linux page was not easy to find.  The Flash
Download page always defaulted to Windows.

4.  Download the gzip file.  No distro-specific repos or install files.

5.  Uncompress locally in your /home directory, and as root copy the
flashplugin to the correct directory for your distro.  It varied.

6.  Test to see if it worked, and troubleshoot when it didn't.

Later as I remember, Adobe, besides the generic gzip file,
started supplying rpm, deb, etc. files for specific distros, so you
could use that distro's package manager to install the file, but you
still had to download it first.  And up until I quit Fedora at
version 12 (I used it for a year past its End-of-Life until Wheezy Beta
was released), a simple 'yum install flash-plugin' was not possible
as Flash was not Open Source, and Fedora never, never, never put
proprietary software in their repos. You had to go to third party repos
for that.  I don't know if Adobe ever set up its own dedicated Flash
repository for Linux.