Re: update flash

On Jo, 16 ian 14, 09:58:43, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> I am using the flashplugin from Debian's nonfree repo.  If there are
> any security updates for it from Adobe shouldn't those updates
> ultimately end up in the repo just like all other nonfree stuff?  Or
> would the security updates end up in some backport repo, since it
> would be coming from a newer, non-Linux version of Flash?
>
> As far as I can tell, I have the latest version not only from the repo,
> but according to Adobe as well: 11.2.202

You are missing the fact that the flashplugin-nonfree package doesn't
actually contain the plugin. The "package" is actually only a
downloading script executed on package install[1]. So the only way to
trigger an update would be to bump the package version, which has to be
done by the maintainer.

[1] which is why it is allowed to stay in 'contrib' rather than
'non-free'

If one has good reasons to request such a version bump it would be a
good idea to file a bug with appropriate severity (I'd say valid
security concerns warrant 'important'). The package maintainer might not
be following updates from Adobe very closely.

Of course, the package could set up a cron job to do the update
automatically, but most people would hate that (me included) and it's
trivial to do it yourself.

Kind regards,
Andrei