Re: Can one do anything useful With an Old USB Apple Dialup Modem?

Bob Proulx writes:
> The modem I am currently using is a US Robotics 56K modem and
> originally probably sold for $70 back in the day.  I am looking at a
> listing for a good shape US Robotics 56K v.92 modem right now for
> $8.00

	That got me to thinking. I have a couple of 56-K modems
from the early 2000's or late nineties. Maybe I should hook them
up and see if they do CallerID as I do have available RS-232
ports and that Apple modem didn't create any new serial devices.

	If some of these robo-callers have a recognizable
CallerID pattern, I can let them hear the modem sing and not bother
legitimate folks that need to call us.

Poor Rachel with Card Holder Services may get whistled at if she
calls us again.

	Actually most of the roboscammers fudge their ANI data.

Martin