Re: Install-time non-free issues

On Mon 13 Jan 2014 at 18:08:50 +0000, Brian wrote:

>     ls -l /lib/firmware
>
> would confirm your assumption. The image you downloaded won't load
> firmware for me either. Putting it in /lib/firmware was quick and
> painless.

Curt's reference to a firmware loading bug in the present d-i is as
opportune a time as any to look at what is recommended above. It seems
firmware loading isn't as reliable as I thought it was on Wheezy, There
is an alternative technique which is worth trying if a user gets stuck at
this stage of the installation.

The installer looks on /media for firmware files. So mount the partition
containing them on /media. Switch to tty2 with ALT-F2 and

   mount /dev/<partition_with_firmware_files> /media

before doing 'Detect network hardware'.

The partition which holds the files can be formatted FAT16 or FAT32.