Re: Install-time non-free issues

On 13/01/14 04:38, tty7 wrote:
> Hello, I've attempted to install non-free firmware several times with
> wheezy amd64. I've tried placing the *.deb* package

Emphasis is mine.

> on / and on /firmware/ of both an SD card and a USB stick. I've
> extracted the files and placed the loose files it calls for by name
> (rtl_nic/etc) in both / and /firmware on both the SD card and USB
> stick.
>
> In short, I've followed with the documentation says to do, yet the
> installer does not seem to "find" the files.

Which documentation is that.

> I've switched to tty2 (Ctrl-Alt-F2) and activated it, and created
> /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/usb and mounted both filesystems, and verified
> that the firmware exists in both places on both devices. The
> installer can't seem to "find" it even with them manually mounted.
>

> Is there some other place the installer is looking? there appears to
> be no way to specify a mountpoint or location to find these files.
>
> Anyone got a clue? I'm tapped out..
>

> Thanks!

It reads like you are using not using the non-free-firmware version of
the installer *and* you are trying to add the firmware-linux-free-*.deb
to the installation process - if that's the case skip to the last two
paragraphs.

If you've already installed Debian *and* down-loaded the non-free
firmware image but for some reason don't wish to use apt/aptitude:-
# dpkg -i $pathTo\firmware-linux-free-*.deb

(replace $pathTo with actual path to the package, you can leave the
wildcard in the debian package name)

If you've already installed Debian and you can use apt:-
# apt-get install firmware-linux-free

If you have *not* already installed Debian you need to use the files
from either the
*.tar.gz* or the *.zip* package. I'm not familiar with the process of
trying to manually extract the drivers from the .deb package.

Those packages are here:-
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/wheezy/current/
See 6.4.1. Preparing a medium:-
https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/i386/ch06s04.html.en