Install-time non-free issues

Hello,
I've attempted to install non-free firmware several times with wheezy amd64.
I've tried placing the .deb package on / and on /firmware/ of both an SD card and a USB stick.
I've extracted the files and placed the loose files it calls for by name (rtl_nic/etc) in both / and /firmware on both the SD card and USB stick.

In short, I've followed with the documentation says to do, yet the installer does not seem to "find" the files.

I've switched to tty2 (Ctrl-Alt-F2) and activated it, and created /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/usb and mounted both filesystems, and verified that the firmware exists in both places on both devices. The installer can't seem to "find" it even with them manually mounted.

Is there some other place the installer is looking? there appears to be no way to specify a mountpoint or location to find these files.

Anyone got a clue? I'm tapped out..

Thanks!