Re: Install-time non-free issues

On Jan 13, 2014, at 11:07 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon 13 Jan 2014 at 10:05:50 -0500, tty7 wrote:
>
>> I made a CD from http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.3.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-7.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>>
>> I booted my EeeBox. At some point the installer said : "
>> [!] Detect Network hardware
>>
>> Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. The
>> firmware can be loaded from removable media, such as a USB stick or
>> floppy.
>>
>> The missing firmware files are: rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw
>
> This file is in the firmware-realtek package and in firmware.tar.gz.
>
>> If you have such media available now, insert it, and continue.
>>
>> Load missinfg firmware from removable media?
>>
>> <Yes>       <No>
>>
>> "
>>
>> Based on this, I'm not seeing where I'd know that I'd need a special
>> non-free version of the installer.
>
> You shouldn't need this version of the installer. The only difference
> between it and what you have done is that the non-free firmware is on
> the CD, which is bound to get mounted.

Interesting. I could see it "search" the disc (light illuminates and drive is accessed) when I press "Yes" but it just returns to the same dialog, which I assume meant the process failed.

>> The above text, and the above linked-to debian document indicated to
>> me that I should be able to put the firmware on some media, either in
>> / or /firmware on said media, insert it, let the thing detect the
>> insertion and do some auto-mount magic behind the scenes, find the
>> files needed, and continue installing.
>
> Correct. The files are found and copied to /lib/firmware. Observing or
> debugging the process can be done on tty4 or from /var/log/syslog.

Since I was unable to get past this point, I'll switch to tty4 and see what is happening.
(I regret not exploring beyond tty2 !     thanks for this! )

-jre