Re: Install-time non-free issues

On Mon 13 Jan 2014 at 10:05:50 -0500, tty7 wrote:

> I made a CD from http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.3.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-7.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> I booted my EeeBox. At some point the installer said : "
> [!] Detect Network hardware
>
> Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. The
> firmware can be loaded from removable media, such as a USB stick or
> floppy.
>
> The missing firmware files are: rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw

This file is in the firmware-realtek package and in firmware.tar.gz.

> If you have such media available now, insert it, and continue.
>
> Load missinfg firmware from removable media?
>
> <Yes>       <No>
>
> "
>
> Based on this, I'm not seeing where I'd know that I'd need a special
> non-free version of the installer.

You shouldn't need this version of the installer. The only difference
between it and what you have done is that the non-free firmware is on
the CD, which is bound to get mounted.

> The above text, and the above linked-to debian document indicated to
> me that I should be able to put the firmware on some media, either in
> / or /firmware on said media, insert it, let the thing detect the
> insertion and do some auto-mount magic behind the scenes, find the
> files needed, and continue installing.

Correct. The files are found and copied to /lib/firmware. Observing or
debugging the process can be done on tty4 or from /var/log/syslog.