Re: Nvidia package installation problems

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 08:46:21 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 00:17:17 +0000 (UTC)
> Jarth Berilcosm <jarth@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Jarth,
>
>>Honestly, i don't know what's going with Debian lately. Wheezy looked
>>promising and has been quite a dissapointment when it comes to package
>>quality.
>
> It's strange, isn't it;  I've not had any problems at all.  Admittedly,
> I'm not using Wheezy (I am always on 'testing'), but even so maybe you'd
> expect an issue or two.
>
>>Golden hint include nomodeset in /etc/default/grub on the line
>>GRUB_CMD_LINE_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
>
> No "nomodeset" here, and everything seems fine.  Of course, I could set
> it and see what changes/improvements it makes.
>
>>Make sure in /etc/modprobe.conf.d/nvidia...... there is a line stating
>>blacklist nouveau
>
> Surely you mean '/etc/modprobe.d/' not '/etc/modprobe.conf.d/'?  The
> latter doesn't exist here.

Hi Brad,

Yeah, i lost focus due to frustrations and wrote down an incorrect
pathname. Should have had some tea much sooner ;-)

What i've figured so far is nomodeset is mostly required by older
hardware, this is an "NVIDIA Corporation G86M [Quadro FX 360M]" graphics
card which is quite old. Almost unsupported.

My system logs were littered with segfault errors on gnome-shell and quite
a few other programs. Since late last night there are no segfault errors
anymore, it means I've done something right ;-) My system was left
running for hours today with a few segfault sensitive applications
running, no errors whatsoever, hurray.

I wrote a guide on my experience.

 http://www.oxitech.info/helpdesk/nvidia.html

Right now, i hope I have not been deluding myself but at least it's a
stable delusion so far :-)