Re: Grub2 menu editing

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 12:14:20 -0800, Gary Roach wrote:

> Would someone tell me how to edit the grub2 menu. I have over 10 items
> showing including versions of the OS that I don't even use anymore.
> Further, the items are out of order and I have to be careful when
> rebooting or the wrong OS gets loaded. I'm using Debian Wheezy and AMD
> 64 OS with an Intel i5750 processor.
>
> Gary R.

Grub2 is a verry different beast, a custom boot menu can be generated
with /etc/grub.d/40_custom

As a root user, to change the default boot item change

Be carefull to count from the top starting with 0 for the first line, if
there is a recovery mode this counts as one more item too.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to the correct value in /etc/default/grub

then run

update-grub2

All you need is here http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub.html

UPDATE-GRUB
(8)
UPDATE-GRUB(8)

NAME
       update-grub, update-grub2 - stub for grub-mkconfig

SYNOPSIS
       update-grub

DESCRIPTION
       update-grub is a stub for running grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/
grub.cfg to generate a grub2 config file.

SEE ALSO
       grub-mkconfig(8)