Nvidia package installation problems

I have been getting pretty good with breaking my system lately.  Today
I got it in mind to stop downloading the Nvidia binary driver and
installing it myself and switch to using the version available as a
Debian package.  I first uninstalled the downloaded version and
rebooted to the normal desktop OK.  I tried using lspci to see just
what driver it was currently using but either it didn't say or I
didn't understand the output.  But the vesa driver was installed and
it seemed unlikely it was using the driver I just uninstalled, so i
went forward thinking I had the old drivers removed.  I'm not sure if
that was necessary, but cleaning out the old before installing the new
seemed to be a good idea.

I wasn't sure exactly what to select (in Synaptic) for the new
drivers, and unfortunately don't remember exactly everything that may
have been selected as a dependency.  But I know I at least the
following were installed:
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia'
nvidia-kernel-dkms
dkms

And I'm pretty sure these were installed
nvidia-vdpau-driver
nvidia-support
nvidia-kernel-commen
nvidia-installer-cleanup
nvidia-alternative
nvidia-kernel-686-pae (it does match my kernel, and making the kernel
module ends without error)

There are also other packages related to glx, and probably more I
don't remember.

But, I can't get the xserver to start.  I can log into virtual
terminals OK.  At the end of the boot sequence I get the following
message:

"NWRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 304.108, but this
kernel module has the version 319.76.  Please make sure that this
kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version."

That sounds simple enough, but I have searched all packages I can
think make be related in Aptitude and can not find anything that
mentions version 304.108.  Either they all say 319.76, or a version
like '20131102+1 (that's the 'nvidia-kernel-common among others).

I just noticed that 'glx-alternative-nvidia has a version of '0.4.1',
but even if that's the problem I can't uninstall that without it
taking most of the packages listed above.

I checked my 'sources.list' and all the '...debian.org' lines are set
to jessie.  I'm not sure if any of the packages related to my problem
could have come from other repositories, but I do have the following:

www.deb-multimedia.org/ testing non-free main
packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/debian/ jessie main
ftp.mowgli.ch/pub/debian/ wheezy unofficial
Also apt.last.fm, download.skype.com and dowload.webmin.com, but these
seem pretty unlikely sources of wrong version Nvidia drivers to me
(then again, if I knew what I was doing I woudn't be writing to you
:-)).

I love the idea of not having to re-installed the downloaded Nvidia
drivers every time the kernel updates (plus it seems to keep breaking)
so I would like to get this to work.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jon