Re: Nvidia package installation problems

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 09:35:52 -0500
> Jon N <jdnandroid@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Jon,
>
>>I did check that, but it looks OK (correct version installed).
>>
>>Thanks,
>
> No problem.  I've just re-read your original message, and picked up on
> some stuff I missed previously.  Specifically, stuff about version
> number mismatches (319 vs 304).  Looks like you should be using
> nvidia-legacy drivers.  Search for nvidia-legacy-304.  Sounds as though
> your GFX card is not supported by latest (319) drivers.  You'll need to
> check what your GFX card is, and see which nvidia driver package
> supports it.  Either 304 or 173.

The card is a 8600 GT, which does use the latest drivers.  in fact, I
uninstalled 319.76 that I had downloaded from nvida to install 319.76
from repository.  Duh!  I'm starting to think I'm going to have to
back out and go back to nvidia's downloaded stuff.  Hopefully I won't
have any trouble doing that.  But I don't want to have a package from
repository still installed at the same time as the nvidia download.
There could be problems with the repository version updating and over
writing something form the nvidia download.

Thanks,
Jon