Re: keyboard configuration problem

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013, Brian wrote:

If you had a .xsessionrc file in your home directory containing the line
"setxkbmap us" this would account for what you see in an xterm. However,
it does not explain what you get at the kdm login prompt. So you likely
do not have such a file. I wonder whether xdm is affected in the same
way as kdm?

  I don't have a .xsessionrc and my .xinitrc just calls fvwm.  So, as the problem occurs
  with startx, it doesn't seem useful to look at session managers. Anyway, I'll
  try with xdm when coming back, in 2 weeks.

For completeness sake please post /etc/default/keyboard.

   Here it is

   # KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

   # Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

   XKBMODEL="pc105"
   XKBLAYOUT="gb"
   XKBVARIANT=""
   XKBOPTIONS="compose:ralt,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

   BACKSPACE="guess"