Re: keyboard configuration problem

On Mon 23 Dec 2013 at 14:29:23 +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Dec 2013, Brian wrote:
>
> >Following Andrei's suggestion wouldn't be a bad idea. 'service kdm stop'
> >first.
>
>   as the problem occurs with startx, no session manager od display manager is involved.
>   More, the problem already exists at the grub level: I checked that by lauching
>   the grub editor at boot.  It looks like the us layout is wired...

The default keyboard layout for GRUB is us. Also, setupcon and udev sort
out things *after* booting takes place.

> >Does
> >
> >  grep keymap /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> >
> >give anything?
>    nothing useful for me:

There are no errors relating to being unable to find a keymap. Should
this happen X falls back to using a us one. Looks like we can rule this
out as a cause.

If you had a .xsessionrc file in your home directory containing the line
"setxkbmap us" this would account for what you see in an xterm. However,
it does not explain what you get at the kdm login prompt. So you likely
do not have such a file. I wonder whether xdm is affected in the same
way as kdm?

For completeness sake please post /etc/default/keyboard.