Re: keyboard configuration problem

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013, Brian wrote:

X (whether started with a login manager or startx) gets information about
the keyboard from udev via evdev.
. . .
 desktop:/home/brian# udevadm info --export-db | grep XKB
 desktop:/home/brian# udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=input --action=change
. . .

  hi Brian,
  (and thanks also Brian your reply)
  As far as the 2 commands above are concerned, you are perfectly right, but
  the problem is that they change nothing for the keyboard actual
  behaviour, using the fvwm display manager or startx.
  As the Xorg.0.log is correct, I still suspect a bug somewhere..

  As a workaround, I added in /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup the 2 lines
     . /etc/default/keyboard
     /usr/bin/setxkbmap -layout $XKBLAYOUT
  but I don't like this solution. I would prefer to understand what is wrong
  with X

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel