keyboard configuration problem

hi everybody,
I recently bought a Logitech wireless keyboard, and since it came from UK, its
layout is gb
I naïvely thought that I just had to replace, in /etc/default/keyboard:
   XKBLAYOUT="us"
   by
   XKBLAYOUT="gb"
and reboot, but that works only for the console mode, although the keyboard
man says
    In Debian systems the default keyboard layout is described in
    /etc/default/keyboard and it is shared between X and the console.

 which seems confirmed by the /var/log/Xorg.0.log/ content

   61.485] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
   [    61.485] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
   [    61.485] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "gb"

The problem is that the actual layout is still "us", in the login
greeting window as well as in xterm. I must then run, at each session start,
   setxkbmap -layout gb (that works)
as the layout reverts to us when I logout

Can this be considered as a kernel bug?

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel