Re: Acpi "Lid" Suspend with Eeepc 900 Not Working

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > Did my original post below make to the list?  Or did it end up being
> > filtered as spam?  Just wondering.
>
> I saw it.  If you ever wonder then check the mailing list archives.
>
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/12/msg01326.html

I know it made it to the list's server.  I was checking to see if it
actually made it to the users.  Sometimes the spam filters on the
various users' e-mails servers filter my posts.  Sometimes even my
e-mails get filtered by MY own e-mail provider, and show up in my spam
folder. It's an intermittent problem.  No one knows why it happens.

> > > hibernate) when the lid is closed.  Don't want hibernate anyway.
> > > Instead of sleeping, the display is shutdown, but the computer
> > > itself is still fully powered and running.
>
> I don't know if LXDE installs a sleep handler or not.

Good suggestion.  I'll check.  As far as I know, LXDE doesn't.  It
depends on acpid, and the stock acpi scripts for that.

> > > (The "sleep" key combo FnF1 works however.)
>
> That is my normal method of sleeping my laptop.  I consider it a
> feature.  It sleeps when I tell it to and not just because I closed
> the lid.  Allows me to carry my laptop from here to there and open it
> and not have it asleep and needing to reconnect and not having killed
> my ssh logins.  (And without using screen, autossh or mosh.  Although
> connections over the vpn will bridge.)
>
> So all I can say is what you are seeing is perfectly normal for me
> too.  I am not using LXDE on my laptop though.  I am running a simple
> window manager only and so don't have all of the fancy scripts that
> are installed by the heavier desktop session managers.

The "Sleep on Lid Closed" was to match what eeebuntu did as this is
what the owner was accustomed to.  I tried to make Wheezy/LXDE behave
and look the same as eeebuntu, even though it used GNOME, so the owner
wouldn't have to learn anything knew.  She's not that computer savvy.

By default, on the new install, a lid closure event shuts down the
display (backlight and video signal), but the computer itself stays
fully powered and running.

> > > I installed the eeepc-apci-scripts from the repo thinking that
> > > might solve the problem. It didn't, but fortunately those scripts
> > > are compatible with the others, so no conflicts.
>
> I think something you are thinking is a bug, that it does not sleep on
> lid close, is simply an extra feature of GNOME, KDE, possibly others,
> and is simply not a feature of LXDE.  Nor would I consider it a bug
> since it is counter to the way that I wish to operate.  On the
> contrary if for some reason the laptop were to suddenly start to sleep
> upon lid close I would find that annoying and would file that as a
> bug.

I don't think this is a bug. It's a setting that isn't set to have
"sleep" induced on lid closing. And I can't find out where or how to set
that setting.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

Happy Holidays.