Re: boot from USB and install debian using grub2 and netinstall debian iso image

> If I did have any knowledge I've forgotten most of it. :) In the end I
> decided booting from an isohybrid on a USB stick was far more convenient
> than whatever I devised, which may have involved remastering the ISO.

When you refer to the isohybrid image you mean the CD image that is simply dd-ed to the USB? This is not preferable, as USB that can store 8, 16 or even 32 GB is wasted because of only 3,2,1 GB or even less.

> Perhaps the bug report indicates a way forward.

Thanks. I also managet to find this (I think I'm referencing you :-)):
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/448888
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/448990

Regarding the bug report...
It has severity "whishlist", so I assume it will not be solved any time soon. However, apart from solving the problem, I have issues that I would like to discuss.
E.g.
Several years ago I had a problem that reminds me to this one. I tried to automate the debian installer, and actually did it using netbooting. However, I never managed to do it completely locally - using just .iso image and configuration file from my USB (without remastering). I hope that solving the bug 724931 will also allow d-i to use preseed file stored locally. Perhaps there are some security issues here that will postpone the solution further (like, we are asking to see something outside chroot/jail environment)? Anyway, please point me in the direction where to find/discuss such things (as I assume this is not the right place, as only two of us are discussing it)?

Thanks for your time and help.