Re: boot from USB and install debian using grub2 and netinstall debian iso image

On Mon 16 Dec 2013 at 15:25:56 +0100, ha wrote:

> On 12/16/2013 12:45 PM, Brian wrote:
> >
> >Yes, using the hd-media kernel and initrd. Employing GRUB's loopback
> >feature with a netinst ISO is not possible at present.
>
> Can you please point me in the right direction?

Working mainly from memory:

Obtain the hd-media from

   http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/installer-i386/current/images/

Put vmlinuz and initrd.gz in a directory of your choice.

In grub.cfg put
     menuentry "debian-netinst-iso" {
             linux /<DIR>/vmlinuz priority=low
             initrd /<DIR>/initrd.gz
     }
You may, of course, add installer options to the 'linux' line.

Put the netinst ISO in <DIR>.

Boot, select entry, scan devices to find the ISO.

> It would be helpful if you could share any knowledge you might have
> on utilizing loop.ko module, mentioned in the bug report.

If I did have any knowledge I've forgotten most of it. :) In the end I
decided booting from an isohybrid on a USB stick was far more convenient
than whatever I devised, which may have involved remastering the ISO.
Perhaps the bug report indicates a way forward.