Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On 12/06/2013 01:56 AM, Reco wrote:
On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:35:30AM +0100, François Patte wrote:
with acroread (on start):

(acroread:30504): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
module_path: "xfce",
The acroread needs i386 libraries from gtk2-engines-xfce package.
If I try to install this package (i386), I get:
What's normal. gtk2-engines-xfce doesn't contain Multi-Arch stanza in
it's description. Hence - you cannot install more than one architecture
of this package at the same time.

Please note that I wrote 'libraries from the package', not the package.

Quick and dirty way to fix the issue is to download gtk2-engines-xfce,
then invoke (as root):

dpkg -x gtk2-engines-xfce_3.0.1-2_amd64.deb /usr/local/
mv /usr/local/usr/* /usr/local
rm -rf /usr/local/usr

This setup WILL break once Jessie's gtk2-engines-xfce package will be
updated.

Probably (I can not test it right now) more-or-less correct way to fix
the issue is to launch acroread with GTK theme that does not require xfce
engine (for example):

GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Raleigh/gtk-2.0/gtkrc acroread

Reco

After reading through this topic I find myself ask what happened to KDE. I know its old and is probably bloated. But, with 500 GB of disk space, 4GB of RAM and a 4 processor CPU, who cares. Its solid. I like it and have never liked Gnome. Am I missing something here?

Gary R.