Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 14:04:49 -0800
Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

> After reading through this topic I find myself ask what happened to
> KDE. I know its old and is probably bloated. But, with 500 GB of disk
> space, 4GB of RAM and a 4 processor CPU, who cares. Its solid. I like
> it and have never liked Gnome. Am I missing something here?

My guess would be two factors: undeniably, many Linux users are drawn
by the lower costs, and these are people who hate to throw a PC away.
If on the other hand, you replace your PC (or internals) every couple of
years, you will always have a PC capable of running Windows, and
therefore one which will easily run the most bloated possible Linux
system. Neither Gnome nor KDE will run slowly. The general issue with
Gnome3 is its appetite for resources, and as you say, the latest KDE is
similar. Knoppix dropped KDE some time ago in favour of LXDE for
resource reasons.

The other reason I draw from the dim depths of memory, and I may be
wrong. I seem to recall that at one time, Qt was not as free (in the
FOSS sense) as it might be, and that there was a slight inclination away
from KDE and towards Gnome, which was more free, though a bit more
primitive at the time. When that kind of situation occurs, the memory
lingers, even if the reason disappears, and I believe Qt no longer has
any licensing issues and hasn't for years. There is some movement away
from MySQL and towards MariaDB, for the same reason, even though they
are still functionally almost identical. Debian, of course, tends to be
very sensitive to such issues.

--
Joe