Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

Le 05/12/2013 22:46, Stephen Powell a écrit :
> Well, the latest update to Debian jessie did it.  GNOME 3 apparently
> no longer has a "fallback mode" for X drivers which don't support 3D
> acceleration.  Mine doesn't.  And the native GNOME 3 interface is
> apparently unusable with such an X driver.
>
> Goodbye, GNOME.  Hello, XFCE.  I hope Debian will make XFCE the
> default desktop for the production jessie installer.

It could a nice choice, but there are many things to fix! I made the
choice of xfce at my wheezy install and as I use terminals and cli to
launch my stuff, there are a lot of warnings, for instance:

when I quit evince:

(evince:30376): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

with acroread (on start):

(acroread:30504): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
module_path: "xfce",

etc. I had some similar messages launching emacs and other applications.

So I have to launch my applications like this:

evince beamer.pdf 2>/dev/null &

if I want to get rid of these warnings which can appear if I scroll a
document .....

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique