Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Fri, 2013-12-06 at 19:13 -0200, André Nunes Batista wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-11-26 at 16:58 -0500, Doug wrote:
> > Maybe I have it wrong--I refer to having to install knowing a priori the
> > name of the package you want to install. And I have _never_ had a
> > problem with Synaptic. Using it for at least 4 years now.
> > I'm not afraid of the command line, I use it frequently.
> errr WTF?! How are you supposed to install something which you don't
> know?

If you e.g. know that there is a package with a calculator, that does
interpret the "." key on the num pad as ".", even if it's a ",", but you
don't remember the name of the package, then it's more intuitive to use
synaptic's mouse-click search, than to use apt/dpkg by CLI and a search
syntax, if you're not used to do it, because you seldom need to do it.

Even if you remember that you want a special editor, there might no
package available for the editor, but a package with a collection of
tools including this editor.

To click and type a search term for many _users_ is easier to do than to
remember a command they only need once every 2 years and than to add a
cryptic search syntax.

This is how I understand to "install something we don't know".

Regards,
Ralf