How to updated after install? [Re: Setting up wordpress on wheezy using the debian packages?]

Thanks, Scott.  See my notes interlineated below…

On Dec 5, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/12/13 13:30, Rick Thomas wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to all who replied.  I got lots of useful suggestions.
>>
>> The one that finally got me off the ground is this one…  Somehow I
>> missed it in all my googling.
>
> :)
> It didn't exist when you did your Googling. I wrote it *after* reading
> your post.

Wow!  Thanks!  As noted, it was a tremendous help.

>> https://wiki.debian.org/WordPress
>>
>> By *carefully* following *all* the instructions there, I was able to
>> get a functioning WordPress v3.6.1 (latest available in the Debian
>> Wheezy archives).  I believe this will do the job for the time
>> being.
>
> When I get some time I'll try and update the wiki to include
> instructions for installing WordPress for individual users
> (apache2-suexec-custom), and using Nginx instead of Apache (you'll note
> that the WordPress package doesn't automagically install Apache2, that's
> why).

I'm looking forward to seeing and trying that when it arrives.

>> There was some recent discussion on the mentors list about recruiting
>> new folks to help with maintaining the Debian WordPress packages.  I
>> presume we won't see any updates past 3.6.1 until that issue is
>> resolved?
>
> Yes, but it won't mean much, the existing package (see further down)
> will still work fine, it'll just require you to update WordPress once
> it's installed to be up-to-date with the latest stable upstream version.
>
> 3.6.1 is the version of WordPress *packaged* in the Debian WordPress
> package you installed. It can/should be updated to the latest version of
> WordPress (3.7.1) once installed (login to WordPress and look on the
> WordPress Dashboard).

OK.  I want to try updating: I log into my new wordpress site as "admin".  I see, in the upper left corner, there is a link labeled "updates 2".  There is also a double arrow circle icon and the numeral "2".  Both places have the text "two theme updates".  They both link to "http://macpro.rcthomas.org/blog/wp-admin/update-core.php";

If I click one of them, I get to a page titled "Wordpress Updates" that says, "You have the latest version of WordPress."  The numeral "2" in both places does not change.  Should I expect it to become "0" if updates had been installed?

Also, it still identifies itself as "Wordpress 3.6.1".

Clearly there's something I'm overlooking.   ???

> The most recently baked Debian WordPress package has just been released,
> it includes v3.7.1[*1].  NOTE: *you* don't need it to upgrade to the
> latest version of WordPress.
>
> [*1]http://raphaelhertzog.com/2013/12/01/my-free-software-activities-in-november-2013/
>

>> If there's anything I can do as a non-developer -- such as, perhaps,
>> testing new releases on a quick-turnaround basis with non-x86
>> architectures (I have PowerPC and ARM boxes that I can use for
>> testing)
>
> Contact Raphael, I'm sure he'd appreciate the offer, and, you don't need
> to be a developer to package.

OK. I will do that.