Re: How to updated after install? [Re: Setting up wordpress on wheezy using the debian packages?]

On 06/12/13 19:27, Rick Thomas wrote:

> Thanks, Scott.  See my notes interlineated below…

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback/testing.

> On Dec 5, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Scott Ferguson
> <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/12/13 13:30, Rick Thomas wrote:
<snipped>

>>> There was some recent discussion on the mentors list about
>>> recruiting new folks to help with maintaining the Debian
>>> WordPress packages.  I presume we won't see any updates past
>>> 3.6.1 until that issue is resolved?
>>
>> Yes, but it won't mean much, the existing package (see further
>> down) will still work fine, it'll just require you to update
>> WordPress once it's installed to be up-to-date with the latest
>> stable upstream version.
>>
>> 3.6.1 is the version of WordPress *packaged* in the Debian
>> WordPress package you installed. It can/should be updated to the
>> latest version of WordPress (3.7.1) once installed (login to
>> WordPress and look on the WordPress Dashboard).
>
> OK.  I want to try updating: I log into my new wordpress site as
> "admin".  I see, in the upper left corner, there is a link labeled
> "updates 2".  There is also a double arrow circle icon and the
> numeral "2".  Both places have the text "two theme updates".  They
> both link to
> "http://macpro.rcthomas.org/blog/wp-admin/update-core.php";
>
> If I click one of them, I get to a page titled "Wordpress Updates"
> that says, "You have the latest version of WordPress."  The numeral
> "2" in both places does not change.  Should I expect it to become "0"
> if updates had been installed?

*If* upgrades have been installed. ;p

The 2 indicated are theme upgrades - upgrade WordPress first (though you
don't need to). You'll find those themes will upgrade when you upgrade
WordPress anyway.

> Also, it still identifies itself as "Wordpress 3.6.1".
>
> Clearly there's something I'm overlooking.   ???

Semi-stripped Wheezy with WordPress installed per wiki

fresh installation using wordpress_3.6.1+dfsg-1~deb7u1_all.deb

wordpress            3.6.1+dfsg-1~de

grep -v "#" /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian/ wheezy main non-free contrib
deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian/ wheezy-updates main non-free
contrib
deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian-security/ wheezy/updates main
non-free contrib

package list:-
http://paste.debian.net/69647/

Try this (you'll need ftp configured), let me know how it goes for you:-

1. http://postimg.org/image/z82eo5ggb/
2. http://postimg.org/image/knlbtblhn/
3. http://postimg.org/image/5qcusb897/

Otherwise follow manual upgrade instructions:-
http://codex.wordpress.org/Updating_WordPress#Manual_Update

Login to WordPress admin
go to the Plugins page
select all your plugins
deactivate them all
# cd ~
# wget http://wordpress.org/latest.tar.gz
# mv /usr/share/wordpress/wp-includes{,-3.6.1}
# mv /usr/share/wordpress/wp-admin{,-3.6.1}
# tar -zxvf latest.tar.gz -C /usr/share wordpress/wp-admin
# tar -zxvf latest.tar.gz -C /usr/share wordpress/wp-includes
# tar -zxvf latest.tar.gz -C /usr/share wordpress/wp-content
# tar --wildcards -zxvf latest.tar.gz -C /usr/share/ 'wordpress/*.php'
Back in WordPress agree to reload/upgrade the database
then reactivate plugins

Upgraded to freshly baked stable:-
http://postimg.org/image/t8enkhvnv/  (notice the changes to the upgrade
options?).

NOTE: nothing to stop you using the same process to upgrade to the beta
version of WordPress if you want.

<snipped>

Kind regards