Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 17:13:04 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 17:01:37 -0500 (EST), Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > All GTK dependent DEs have their drawbacks. Xfce still is and will
> > be my DE for a while, but I'm already testing Razor-Qt. It's not
> > that good at the moment, but since LXDE is similar ok as Xfce is,
> > it might be interesting to wait for LXDE-Qt. IIUC the Razor-Qt and
> > LXDE folks work together on LXDE-Qt. Perhaps LXDE-Qt would be a
> > better choice as a default DE for Debian and some other distros.
>
> I haven't tried the other DEs that you mentioned.  From my research it
> seemed that XFCE was pretty close to the "look and feel" of the old
> GNOME 2 interface, which is what I am used to, and what "fallback
> mode" users of GNOME 3 are used to.  As such, it seemed like a pretty
> good default DE for new installs to me.  But I do feel strongly about
> one thing: the default DE should not be one which *requires* 3D
> acceleration support! The default DE should be one which is usable by
> as wide a variety of video hardware as possible.

Indeed, and I eventually found that my video hardware and driver did
indeed do 3D acceleration, but it was not enabled by default. So I gave
Gnome3 a try, but didn't like it.

I had used the fallback mode, but I then wandered off and tried Xfce
and LXDE, and stayed with the latter. It's a pig to get the Debian menu
to display on LXDE, if you use that, and I don't know if Xfce has the
same trouble.

--
Joe