Re: What to do when not understanding man pages?

Joe wrote:
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:55:10 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

To borrow from the hardware world, man pages would correspond to
Product Specification. What I'm looking for would correspond more
with an Application Note.

I think the magic word you want is 'tutorial'. You probably also want
to set time limits, as one of the most useless things in the world is
an obsolete tutorial. Man pages on the web are usually current.

If you want something a bit unusual, such as an obscure freeRADIUS
application, you probably want to track down half a dozen tutorials,
and try to read between the lines. It's surprising how much can be left
out of a set of 'step-by-step' instructions, but different people
generally leave out different things.

I think you just hit on why 'tutorials' did not come to mind. The Debian tutorials I've seen have another problem in my situation - taking the reader from one specific starting point to one specific end point. That normally is not a problem for the reader as start/end points are aimed at majority.

My problem with the dpkg-scanpackages man pages is that I don't seem to be able to apply it correctly to my situation. I wish to have a local repository whose structure mimics the distribution DVDs.

I have a partition dedicated to my local repository. It is mounted as /media/repo6 . {I'm working on my Squeeze machine at the moment. Eventually I'll dual boot Wheezy and Squeeze. Then I'll add another repository partition mounted as /media/repo7 etc.}

Directory structure is:
/media/repo6/dists/squeeze/contrib/binary-i386
/media/repo6/dists/squeeze/contrib/binary-i386/release
/media/repo6/dists/squeeze/main
/media/repo6/dists/squeeze/main/binary-i386
/media/repo6/dists/squeeze/main/binary-i386/release
/media/repo6/pool
/media/repo6/pool/squeeze
/media/repo6/pool/squeeze/contrib
/media/repo6/pool/squeeze/contrib/... {directories containing deb files}
/media/repo6/pool/squeeze/main
/media/repo6/pool/squeeze/main/...	{directories containing deb files}

I need appropriate Packages.gz under
/media/repo6/dists/squeeze/contrib/binary-i386
and
/media/repo6/dists/squeeze/main/binary-i386 .

I also need appropriate lines to add to sources.list