Re: Init system deba{te|cle}

Le 04.11.2013 17:44, Conrad Nelson a écrit :
LXDE, on the other hand, would
be a better choice for a UNIX philosophy fan (better, not perfect, since UNIX philosophy imply that softwares discuss between them by text only, which can not really be easily done when you come to GUIs. I think that raw UNIX philosophy is not adapted to modern graphical uses, but this is a personal opinion which can be changed rather easily since I want to be
wrong).

I do not think UNIX philosophy is not wrong, I think users are
wrong. Users want false impression of power and that only makes them dependent on the software that makes them such an illusion, similar to
effect of narcotics. Look what RMS says about companies want to
control their users with software.

Users are not wrong: they do not want to have to write pieces of programs to use their system. I do not want to have to plug cables inside my car neither. Instead, I want to push a button and have the system replying to my request. Without me needing to alter it.

Couldn't agree more. I said in a different reply on this threat that
managing services is probably better handled in a declarative style
(Configuration) than an imperative (Programming) one. I am also a
programmer and I think shell scripts are a poor way of managing
services when simply declaring dependencies and what binaries to use
is more efficient. And if you need some wrapper systemd supports shall
scripts just fine.

Also, being portable has never been a goal for
systemd, so I'm not really sure that's criticism-worthy.

As simple Debian users, we indeed do not mind about portability stuff. But for Debian's maintainers, using systemd as default means that they'll have to maintain other systems for Debian Hurd and Debian KFreeBSD. But, indeed, almost nobody mind about that, because linux is probably the most used kernel in free software world, and not with a small difference. Linux is like the windows of free software world (in term of adoption, not about other aspects).

Not everyone is a programmer, but a lot of non-programmers are still
admins but are not interested in working with shell scripts if they
don't have to. Further, shell scripts can have any number of bugs in
them that are harder to find than unit files which rarely have more
than a dozen lines in them.