Re: What to do when not understanding man pages?

Jochen Spieker wrote:
Richard Owlett:

When using gunzip I got an unexpected result. The result of "gunzip
myfile.gz" was a single file named "myfile". What I expected/desired
was to have two files on the disk - "myfile.gz" and "myfile". There
was only one - "myfile". Reading the man page seemed to indicate
that was the _only_ possible result?

Yes. But you can use shell redirection plus the -c switch:

gunzip -c myfile.gz > myfile

<GRIN> It's been too long since I used CP/M-80. Piping and redirection was routine.

My problem with the dpkg-scanpackages man pages is that I don't seem
to be able to apply it correctly to my situation. I need some more
detail examples and that is NOT the function of man pages.

If the EXAMPLES section doesn't contain your (reasonable) use cases you
can always ask here and then submit a proposal as a bug report against
the Debian package. Cannot comment on dpkg-scanpackages, though.

To borrow from the hardware world, man pages would correspond to Product Specification. What I'm looking for would correspond more with an Application Note.

Underlying question:
What to do when man &/or info do not satisfy?

Ask in the relevant place. Any questions regarding Debian tools are
appropriate for this list. Other questions (like for shell scripting)
are mostly tolerated here as well as long as they are not specific to
some other distribution or require domain specific knowledge apart from
general user / sysadmin tasks.

Google can only help sometimes - it value depends strongly on
guessing appropriate set of keywords.

Don't worry, you will learn to guess the right keywords.

J.