Re: sd card not detected

On 11/02/2013 05:22 PM, Neal Murphy wrote:
On Saturday, November 02, 2013 06:55:39 AM Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
I use xfce4 4.10, but in this case I think it has nothing to do with the
problem.
The problem is that the device is not detected by the kernel .

it is not visible in the dmesg output and not visible in the output of
fdisk -l.
But other usb devices work fine - a usb stick is detected and mounted
automatically.

ls -l /dev/sd*
<skip>
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 8, 112 Nov  2 11:32 /dev/sdh

/dev/sdh -is the cardreader device.

after inserting a sd card nothing happens - /dev/sdh1 doesn't appear,
but it appears if I run fdisk -l /dev/sdh for example.
It appears as though udev is working correctly. If sdh1 appears when you plug
in the reader with the card already inesrted, udev is definitely working.

What appears not to be working is the daemon that periodically opens and
closes USB devices in the event that a medium was plugged in (used to be hald,
I think). Remember that USB1 and USB2 are master/slave; the host end must
initiate and perform all communication. If the daemon is malfunctioning, the
system will not detect cards inserted into readers: the USB device cannot
autonomously notify the host of the change in status.

The daemon works for me (64-bit Wheezy). (Verifying ... yes, it does work.)
thanks for the details, which daemon ?
You could probably simulate the daemon by running:
----
while true; do
   # Read a block; ignore failures
   dd if=/dev/sdh of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1
   sleep 3
done >/dev/null 2>&1
----

or even:
----
while true; do
   # Open the device; close it on success
   exec 3</dev/sdh && exec 3<&-
   sleep 3
done >/dev/null 2>&1
----

Neither is optimal. Such a script should really look for non-partition USB
additions to /dev/disk/by-id. When found, it should periodically open/close
the device until success or until the device is deleted. Then start over.

Now the situation is more clear.
Thanks.
Alex