Re: sd card not detected

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:

> On 11/02/2013 04:18 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Fri, 01 Nov 2013, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> A card inserted into card reader is not mounted automatically and
> >> even doesn't shown up in the dmesg output, but if I switch off and
> >> on the monitor with cardreader or run lshw the card appears and is
> >> mounted.
> >>
> >> the same happens with the second card reader in the pc. ( one is in
> >> monitor, second in the computer itself)
> >>
> >> other usb devices work fine.
> >>
> >> The hci/usb modules:
> >>
> >> lsmod | egrep "hci|usb_storage"
> >> usb_storage            39406  0
> >> ehci_pci               12432  0
> >> ohci_hcd               22150  0
> >> ehci_hcd               35820  1 ehci_pci
> >> scsi_mod              131001  5 sg,usb_storage,libata,sd_mod,sr_mod
> >> usbcore               110348  8
> >> snd_usb_audio,uvcvideo,usb_storage,ohci_hcd,snd_usbmidi_lib,ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,usbhid
> >>
> >> The system is jessie, kernel: 3.10-3-686-pae
> >>
> >> Something must be missing, but I really wonder what, as far as I
> >> understand hardware detection is kind of kernel feature..
> > Usually your desktop environment, whichever one you use, has the
> > utility, scripts, etc. that mount (and unmount) such devices
> > automatically.  You didn't say which one you are using.  So, if you
> > do have a desktop, something failed to be install that does this
> > mounting.  What that may be I couldn't say without more info on your
> > system.
> >
> > I don't run a desktop at all on my 64-bit Wheezy system.  Just a
> > window manager (Openbox), LXPanel and Debian Menu.  I had to write
> > my own udev rules to mount USB thumb drives, SD cards, etc.  You
> > might look into that. Works just fine as soon as you have those
> > scripts.

> I use xfce4 4.10, but in this case I think it has nothing to do with
> the problem.
> The problem is that the device is not detected by the kernel .

Check the XFCE web site or the Debian Repos for "auto" mounting
addons for XFCE.  Maybe, when you installed XFCE something didn't get
installed.

> it is not visible in the dmesg output and not visible in the output
> of fdisk -l.
> But other usb devices work fine - a usb stick is detected and mounted
> automatically.
>
> ls -l /dev/sd*
> <skip>
> brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 8, 112 Nov  2 11:32 /dev/sdh
>
> /dev/sdh -is the cardreader device.
>
> after inserting a sd card nothing happens - /dev/sdh1 doesn't appear,
> but it appears if I run fdisk -l /dev/sdh for example.

Cardreaders work differently than USB drives and thumbdrives.  Try this:
With an EXTERNAL cardreader that is UNPLUGGED, insert the SD card, then
plug in the cardreader. Does the SD card come up?  Either recognized or
mounted?  Of course, this technique is unsuitable for internal
cardreaders.

> So I think it is somehow related to the cardreader, but because I
> have two of them in the same box and both don't work,  there should
> be something else.
>
> How it is implemented in the current Linux systems ? is there a
> daemon which checks devices from time to time or is it interrupt
> driven or ... ?

Check to see if HAL or UDEV are set up.  It should be UDEV which
replaced HAL.  Also, look in /etc.  Is there a udev directory?  If
there is, is there a rules.d directory under it?  And if so, what
rules are in it?

> it shouldn't be much different from the other usb devices I think.

But it is.  Cardreaders like floppy and CD/DVD drives need to be
polled so the system knows when a card is inserted.  All the system
sees otherwise is the cardreader.  Take a look at some automounting
utilities that work with cardreaders. Take a look at udisks, but there
are others.

And as I said before, investigate writing udev rules.