Re: sd card not detected

On 11/02/2013 04:18 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:

Hi All,

A card inserted into card reader is not mounted automatically and
even doesn't shown up in the dmesg output, but if I switch off and on
the monitor with cardreader or run lshw the card appears and is
mounted.

the same happens with the second card reader in the pc. ( one is in
monitor, second in the computer itself)

other usb devices work fine.

The hci/usb modules:

lsmod | egrep "hci|usb_storage"
usb_storage            39406  0
ehci_pci               12432  0
ohci_hcd               22150  0
ehci_hcd               35820  1 ehci_pci
scsi_mod              131001  5 sg,usb_storage,libata,sd_mod,sr_mod
usbcore               110348  8
snd_usb_audio,uvcvideo,usb_storage,ohci_hcd,snd_usbmidi_lib,ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,usbhid

The system is jessie, kernel: 3.10-3-686-pae

Something must be missing, but I really wonder what, as far as I
understand hardware detection is kind of kernel feature..
Usually your desktop environment, whichever one you use, has the
utility, scripts, etc. that mount (and unmount) such devices
automatically.  You didn't say which one you are using.  So, if you do
have a desktop, something failed to be install that does this
mounting.  What that may be I couldn't say without more info on your
system.

I don't run a desktop at all on my 64-bit Wheezy system.  Just a window
manager (Openbox), LXPanel and Debian Menu.  I had to write my own udev
rules to mount USB thumb drives, SD cards, etc.  You might look into
that. Works just fine as soon as you have those scripts.

I use xfce4 4.10, but in this case I think it has nothing to do with the problem.
The problem is that the device is not detected by the kernel .

it is not visible in the dmesg output and not visible in the output of fdisk -l. But other usb devices work fine - a usb stick is detected and mounted automatically.

ls -l /dev/sd*
<skip>
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 8, 112 Nov  2 11:32 /dev/sdh

/dev/sdh -is the cardreader device.

after inserting a sd card nothing happens - /dev/sdh1 doesn't appear, but it appears if I run fdisk -l /dev/sdh for example.

So I think it is somehow related to the cardreader, but because I have two of them in the same box and both don't work, there should be something else.

How it is implemented in the current Linux systems ? is there a daemon which checks devices from time to time or is it interrupt driven or ... ?

it shouldn't be much different from the other usb devices I think.

Thanks,
Alex