Re: Installing same packages in a Squeeze installation in a new Wheezy installation

On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 02:20:17PM -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
> Will this command sequence generally work when the "from" box has
> Squeeze and the "to" box has Wheezy?  Specifically, will the packages
> installed in the Wheezy box having the same names as the ones in the
> Squeeze box be the Wheezy versions rather than the Squeeze versions?

Generally yes. Where a package is renamed, typically a transitional
dummy package is created with the old name to ease upgrades. Therefore,
if you had a package 'foo' installed that has been renamed to 'bar',
the name 'foo' in wheezy would be a dummy package which depended on
'bar' to pull it in.

>  I would assume that when the second group of commands is run any
> packages or config files already in the Wheezy box which are later
> versions of than those in the Squeeze box would be left alone.

Yes. (the dpkg selections file does not contain version information)

> Also it would appear that where there are no exact equivalents in the
> two boxes the Squeeze versions would be installed if the dependency
> situation allowed it; otherwise they would not be.

So long as you have squeeze sources in your apt sources.list in
addition to wheezy, or they couldn't be found.

> To know what happened when the second group of commands is run can a
> log file be thereby created for that purpose?

/var/log/dpkg.log is probably what you want.