Re: Multiple dpkg warning (non-empty directories) during upgrade to wheezy

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 11:27:57 +0200 (IST)
Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Thanks for helping me out on this, too.
> Using your advice I was able to further clean-up.
>
> I was left with two puzzling cases in which an orphan directory
> contains dpkg'ed files.
>
> 1. /etc/openoffice
>
> # dpkg -S /etc/openoffice
> dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/openoffice
> # for f in /etc/openoffice/*; do dpkg -S $f; done
> openoffice.org-common: /etc/openoffice/psprint.conf
> openoffice.org-common: /etc/openoffice/soffice.sh
> openoffice.org-common: /etc/openoffice/sofficerc
>
> (There was an orphan file /etc/openoffice/dictionary.lst.old, which I
> removed.)

aptitude search '~o'

will show you all packages that were in squeeze, but are removed from
Debian repository in wheezy. Everything in that list can be removed
more or less safely.
Given that openoffice was replaced with libreoffice in wheezy that's
probably the case.

> 2. /etc/texmf/tex/latex/contour
>
> # ddir=/etc/texmf/tex/latex/contour
> # dpkg -S $ddir; for f in $ddir/*; do dpkg -S $f; done; unset f
> dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/texmf/tex/latex/contour
> texlive-latex-extra: /etc/texmf/tex/latex/contour/contour.cfg
>
> Questions:
> A. Is this an acceptable state?
> B. Is this a bug?

Maybe. I'm not that familiar with LaTeX.
Still, if file belongs to the package, and directory in which the file
resides is not, that's probably ok.

Reco