Re: Multiple dpkg warning (non-empty directories) during upgrade to wheezy

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013, Reco wrote:

Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 13:29:37 +0400
From: Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Multiple dpkg warning (non-empty directories) during upgrade to
    wheezy

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 11:20:55 +0200 (IST)
Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:

Hi,

After upgrading squeeze --> wheezy I examined the session transcript
and found multiple warnings like this:

dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/some/path': Directory not empty

In few cases the said directory was deleted after all.
But in most cases the directory is indeed still there.
The residing files were not edited by me, or dropped by me.
I feel uncomfortable having such debris in the file-system but am not
sure if this is really something to be concerned about.

To clean up I thought of doing for each 'leftover' (= file, directory)

$ apt-file search 'leftover'
# and assuming no package claims ownership of 'leftover'
$ rm  'leftover'  # or rmdir 'leftover'

Does it make sense?  Or did I miss something?

Short of using 'apt-file search' instead of 'dpkg -S' this is correct.
The difference is apt-file will find you some package even it's not
installed currently.

Reco,

Thanks for helping me out on this, too.
Using your advice I was able to further clean-up.

I was left with two puzzling cases in which an orphan directory contains dpkg'ed files.

1. /etc/openoffice

# dpkg -S /etc/openoffice
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/openoffice
# for f in /etc/openoffice/*; do dpkg -S $f; done
openoffice.org-common: /etc/openoffice/psprint.conf
openoffice.org-common: /etc/openoffice/soffice.sh
openoffice.org-common: /etc/openoffice/sofficerc

(There was an orphan file /etc/openoffice/dictionary.lst.old, which I removed.)

2. /etc/texmf/tex/latex/contour

# ddir=/etc/texmf/tex/latex/contour
# dpkg -S $ddir; for f in $ddir/*; do dpkg -S $f; done; unset f
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/texmf/tex/latex/contour
texlive-latex-extra: /etc/texmf/tex/latex/contour/contour.cfg

Questions:
A. Is this an acceptable state?
B. Is this a bug?

Thanks in advance,