Re: Multiple dpkg warning (non-empty directories) during upgrade to wheezy

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 11:20:55 +0200 (IST)
Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After upgrading squeeze --> wheezy I examined the session transcript
> and found multiple warnings like this:
>
> dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/some/path': Directory not empty
>
> In few cases the said directory was deleted after all.
> But in most cases the directory is indeed still there.
> The residing files were not edited by me, or dropped by me.
> I feel uncomfortable having such debris in the file-system but am not
> sure if this is really something to be concerned about.
>
> To clean up I thought of doing for each 'leftover' (= file, directory)
>
> $ apt-file search 'leftover'
> # and assuming no package claims ownership of 'leftover'
> $ rm  'leftover'  # or rmdir 'leftover'
>
> Does it make sense?  Or did I miss something?

Short of using 'apt-file search' instead of 'dpkg -S' this is correct.
The difference is apt-file will find you some package even it's not
installed currently.

> And just for curiousity: what could be the cause for the failure of
> dpkg to clean-up those directories?

Good scenario:
Package 1 created directory, put some files into it. Package 2 created
some files in this directory too. You remove package 1, keep package 2.

Bad scenario:
Package was installed and its' post-install script created some files
which do not belong to any package. You remove this package.

Reco