Multiple dpkg warning (non-empty directories) during upgrade to wheezy

Hi,

After upgrading squeeze --> wheezy I examined the session transcript and found multiple warnings like this:

dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/some/path': Directory not empty

In few cases the said directory was deleted after all.
But in most cases the directory is indeed still there.
The residing files were not edited by me, or dropped by me.
I feel uncomfortable having such debris in the file-system but am not sure if this is really something to be concerned about.

To clean up I thought of doing for each 'leftover' (= file, directory)

$ apt-file search 'leftover'
# and assuming no package claims ownership of 'leftover'
$ rm  'leftover'  # or rmdir 'leftover'

Does it make sense?  Or did I miss something?

And just for curiousity: what could be the cause for the failure of dpkg to clean-up those directories?

Thanks in advance,
Itay