Re: Configuring multiple IP addresses on VLAN interface using ifupdown

Chris Davies wrote:
> Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> > I routinely add or remove ip addresses from an interface without having
> > to bring the physical interface up or down.
>
> Me too. (Well, not routinely, but quite comfortably. It's very convenient
> when needing to talk to a new device that's got a default initial address
> on a completely different subnet.)

I hate to post a "me too" but I decided I would call this out as one
of the reasons like the up/down hooks for adding additional IP
addresses over the new-style multiple iface sections style.

Because almost certainly when I am adding a new IP address I will be
doing some tweaking and debugging and I would like to be able to add
just that IP on the fly with no strings attached.  In this case I mean
no system state held by ifupdown as to the interface status.  Even if
other people think it is ugly I think it is beautiful and elegant.

"Me too."  There, I said it. :-)

Bob